5"-8" DuraTech is a double-wall, all-fuel chimney system for use with wood stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, boilers, ranges, water heaters, or other appliances fueled by wood, oil, coal, or gas, and zero-clearance fireplaces that are factory-built.
Materials and Construction
5”-8” diameter pipe features inner wall of .020” 430 stainless steel. Outer wall options of .016” 430 stainless steel or .021” galvalume steel.
A Thermal Tech (ceramic refractory) blanket insulation is encased between walls. Stainless steel end rings seal the pipe.
DuraTech features light weight insulation, twist-lock fittings, support boxes with factory installed starter sections, elbows with 360° swivel base, select black finish pipe lengths, and five foot length pipe sections.
2" clearance to combustibles.
UL Listed with DuraVent shroud specifications. Information available online at www.duravent.com or call and request L157.
c-UL-us Listed to UL 103 HT and ULC S604 (MH7399) (Stainless steel outer wall required for installation in Canada.)
Refer to our Typical Installation drawings to select the appropriate component parts for your installation.
- DVL/DuraBlack Chimney Adapter must be used when connecting DVL pipe to a Ceiling Support Box or Finishing Collar. When connecting DuraBlack pipe, a DVL pipe to a Ceiling Adapter, DuraBlack Slip Connector, or Snap-Lock Adapter must be used.
- Wall Thimble must be installed with an appropriate length of chimney pipe for all horizontal through-the-wall installations. To accommodate thicker walls, the telescoping pieces of the Wall Thimble can be separated, and a field-fabricated extension may be installed.
- Attic Insulation Shield must be used in all installations that pass through an attic, regardless of whether the attic is insulated or not.
- Firestop Radiation Shield must be used when a chimney passes through a floor or ceiling without a support box.
More Typical Installations:
|Installation Key |
|1 ||DVL or DuraBlack |
|2 ||Celling Support |
|3 ||Wall Thimble |
|4 ||Chimney Pipe |
|5 ||Attic Insulation Shield |
|6 ||Fishing |
|7 ||Storm Collar |
|8 ||Chimney Cap |
|9 ||Elbow |
|10 ||Elbow Strap |
|11 ||Tee with Tee Cap |
|12 ||Tee Support |
|13 ||Chase Top Flashing |
|14 ||Base Tee/Double Tee |
|15 ||Anchor Plate or Anchor Plate with Damper |
|16 ||Roof Support |
|17 ||Finishing Collar |
|18 ||DVL Adapter, DuraBlack Slip Connector, or Snap-Lock Adapter |
|19 ||Stove Adapter |
Planning Your Installation:
The following recommendations are general guideline to assist in the layout and selection of the chimney components needed for your installation. Always follow DuraVent Installation instructions before installing your chimney system., found with the cap or support box.
- The diameter of the chimney should match the outlet size of the appliance. An iimproperly sized chimney results in poor draft and excessive creosote formation.
- Measure the diameter of the appliance flue outlet. Select the chimney and either DVL or DuraBlack connector stovepipe with the same size diameter as the appliance flue outlet. For fireplace installations, refer to the sizing chart in the back of this catalog.
- Determine if the installation is a through-the-roof installation or a through-the-wall installation. A through-the-wall installation will require additional components (Wall Thimble, Tee/ Cap, Tee Support, and Wall Straps).
- Install the chimney in the interior of the structure whenever possible. A cold exterior chimney will produce less draft and will generate more creosote.
- If possible avoid offsets that serve to restrict the natural draft. A straight vertical installation is more efficient and less likely to develop creosote. If an offset is required to avoid rafters or other obstructions, measure the horizontal distance required and the vertical height available. Both 15° and 30° elbows are available. Elbows have a 360° swivel base to allow orientation of elbow direction only. Elbows are fixed at 15° or 30°. Elbows greater than 30° are not allowed in the United States. A maximum of two offsets in a single installation are permitted. Refer to the offset table in the back section of this catalog. At least one Elbow Strap is required for each offset. Elbow Straps ensure adequate support.
- Determine the minimum chimney height above the roof line. Building codes require a minimum of 3' above the roof penetration and at least 2' higher than any portion of a building within 10'. See figure 1. The termination cap is installed above that point. If chimney extends 5' or more above the roof penetration an extended roof bracket is required. An additional roof bracket is needed every 5'.
- Measure the roof pitch. For example a 6/12 pitch has a vertical rise of 6" over a horizontal distance of 12". Select the appropriate flashing.
- Determine the total length of chimney and stovepipe required for the installation. To calculate the installed per length of 5"-8" DuraTech pipe, subtract 1 ¼" per joint. For 10"-24" diameter, subtract ¾" per joint of pipe. Subtract 1 ¼” per joint of DuraBlack stovepipe. Subtract 1 ½" per joint of DVL stovepipe. Minimum chimney height, at sea level, of straight vertical chimney is 10' to 15' above the appliance outlet. Higher elevations, or the use of elbows or a tee, will require approximately 30% to 60% more height to provide for an adequate draft.
- For a UL approved shroud, see the DuraTech Shrouds Installation Instructions (L157). View online at www.duravent.com, under catalogs and instructions.
- Be fire safe. Maintain at least 2" clearance to combustibles. Follow local building codes and have your chimney inspected by a certified professional.
M&G DuraVent Limited Lifetime Warranty
M&G DuraVent, Inc. (“DuraVent”) provides this limited lifetime warranty for all of its products with the exception of Ventinox® (lifetime), and PolyPro® (ten years). Subject to the limitations set forth below, DuraVent warrants that its products will be free from defects in material or manufacturing, if properly installed, maintained and used. DuraVent products are fully warranted if installed only by a professional installer. This Warranty is transferable from the original homeowner to the buyer of the home. This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, smoke damage or damage caused by chimney fires, acts of God, or any product that was: (1) purchased other than from an authorized DuraVent dealer, retailer or distributor; (2) modified or altered; (3) improperly serviced, inspected or cleaned; or (4) subject to negligence or any use not in accordance with the installation instructions included with the product as determined by DuraVent. Installation instructions are available online at www.duravent.com under Support/Literature and through our Customer Service Department 800-835-4429 or firstname.lastname@example.org. This limited lifetime warranty applies only to parts manufactured by DuraVent.
DuraVent provides the following warranties for its products: One Hundred Percent (100%) MSRP 15 years from the date of purchase, and Fifty Percent (50%) thereafter, except for the following limitations on: all Termination Caps and DuraBlack® are warranted at One Hundred Percent (100%) for five years.
All warranty obligations of DuraVent shall be limited to repair or replacement of the defective product pursuant to the terms and conditions applicable to each product line. These remedies shall constitute DuraVent’s sole obligation and sole remedy under this warranty. This warranty provides no cash surrender value. The terms and conditions of this warranty may not be modified, altered or waived by any action, inaction or representation, whether oral or in writing, except upon the express, written authority of an executive officer of DuraVent.
Corn, bio-fuels, driftwood or other wood containing salt, preservative-treated lumber, plastic and household trash or garbage, or wood pellets containing such materials must not be burned in the appliance or fireplace. In case of a chimney fire, the chimney must be inspected and approved by a certified Chimney Sweep before reuse. After each annual inspection, maintenance, and cleaning, the certified Chimney Sweep must fill out and date the appropriate section of the warranty card provided with the chimney liner.
LIMITATIONS ON INTERNET SALES: Notwithstanding any other terms or conditions of this Limited Lifetime Warranty, DuraVent provides no warranty for the following specific products if such products are not installed by a qualified professional installer: DuraTech®, DuraPlus HTC®, DuraChimney® II, PelletVent Pro®, DirectVent Pro®, FasNSeal®, FasNSeal® W2, FasNSeal® Flex, and PolyPro®, and M&G DuraVent’s relining products including DuraLiner®, DuraFlex® (SW, Pro, 316, 304), and Ventinox®. For purposes of this warranty, a trained professional installer is defined as one of the following: licensed contractors with prior chimney installation experience, CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps, NFI Certified Specialists, or WETT Certified Professionals.
DuraVent must be notified and given the opportunity to inspect defective product prior to replacement under the terms of this limited lifetime warranty. All warranty claims must be submitted with proof of purchase. Labor and installation costs are not covered under this warranty. To obtain warranty service contact: DuraVent Warranty Service, 877 Cotting Ct., Vacaville CA 95688, or call 800-835-4429.
WHERE LAWFUL, DURAVENT DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT WILL DURAVENT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR SPECIAL DAMAGES OR DIRECT OR INDIRECT LOSS OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO PROPERTY DAMAGE AND PERSONAL INJURY. DURAVENT’S ENTIRE LIABILITY IS LIMITED TO THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THIS PRODUCT. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES, OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.
M&G DuraVent Limited Lifetime Warranty (PDF, 146KB )