DuraChimney II is an exceptional factory-built alternative to pre-fabricated masonry chimneys. DuraChimney II is a unitized, lightweight design which eliminates the need for field assembly of pipe sections, allowing for faster installation.
DuraChimney II is designed to stay cool on the outside, to provide a hot draft on the inside and to provide a fire-safe design that protects both the chimney and the building.
The double-wall, air-cooled design allows the chimney to expand both radially and lengthwise under high temperatures.
DuraChimney II is tested and listed for continuous operation at 1000°F flue gas temperatures, one hour at 1400°F and ten-minutes at 1700°F, in accordance with the UL 103 test standard.
DuraChimney II is a double-wall, air-cooled chimney system for use with masonry fireplaces which burn wood, oil, coal, or gas.
Materials and Construction
.016″ 430 stainless steel inner wall and .021″ galvanized steel outer wall. For stainless steel outer wall, contact Customer Service.
Unitized pipe sections. No field assembly of inners and outers required.
2″ clearance to combustibles.
UL Listed with DuraVent shroud specifications. Information available online at www.duravent.com or call and request L181.
10″, 12″, 14″, and 16″.
UL Listed to UL 103 and ULC S604 standards (MH7399).
Refer to our Typical Installation drawings to select the appropriate component parts for your installation.
More Typical Installations:
|3||Chase Top Flashing|
|4||Roof Radiation Shield|
|10||Attic Insulation Shield|
|12||Anchor Plate with Damper|
The following recommendations are a general guideline to assist in the layout and selection of the chimney components needed for your installation. Always follow DuraVent Installation instructions enclosed with the cap or support box before installing your chimney system. Installation instructions can be viewed online at www. duravent.com, under catalogs and instructions.
- Measure the diameter of the fireplace flue outlet. An improperly sized chimney results in poor draft and excessive creosote formation.
- Select the chimney with the same size diameter as the fireplace flue outlet. Refer to the chimney sizing chart in the back of this catalog for masonry fireplaces.
- Install the chimney in an enclosed chase.
- If possible, avoid offsets. A straight vertical installation is more efficient and less likely to develop creosote. If an offset is required to avoid rafters or other obstructions, measure the horizontal distance required and the vertical height available. Both 15° and 30° elbows are available. Elbows greater than 30° are not allowed in the United States. Two offset (four elbows) in a single installation is permitted. Refer to the offset chart in the back section of this catalog. At least one Elbow Strap is required. Elbow Straps ensure adequate support.
- Determine the minimum chimney height above the roof line. Building codes require a minimum of 3′ above the roof penetration and at least 2′ higher than any portion of a building within 10′. See figure 1. The termination cap is installed above that point.
- Chase Top Flashing is available. A pitched roof flashing can be locally made, if required. A storm collar is required for all installations using a flashing.
- Determine the total length of chimney required for the installation. To calculate the installed per length of 10″-16″ DuraChimney II pipe, subtract 1″ per joint. Minimum recommended chimney height, at sea level of straight vertical chimney, is 10′ to 15′ above the fireplace outlet. Higher elevations, or the use of elbows, will require approximately 30% to 60% more height to provide for an adequate draft.
- For a UL approved shroud, see the DuraChimney II Shrouds Installation Instructions (L181). View online at www.duravent. com, under catalogs and instructions.
- Be fire safe. Maintain at least 2″ clearance to combustibles. Follow local building codes and have your chimney inspected by a certified professional.
- DuraChimney II Instructions (PDF, 2MB)
- DuraChimney II Manuel d’instructions d’installation (PDF, 1.7MB)
- DuraChimney II Instrucciones de instalación (PDF, 1.3MB)
- DuraChimney II Shroud Instructions (PDF, 437KB)
- DuraTech & DuraChimney II European Copper Pots Instructions (PDF, 404KB )
- DuraChimney® II New Chimney Cap Assembly Installation Instruction Addendum (PDF, 459KB )